In the past I’ve tended to prefer short stories as opposed to poems or longer “book-length” stories I know some people write. I’ve always had problems with, at a certain point, not being able to create the will in order to write about a certain moment and thus often give up writing that story. Aside from just the fact they require less time to write, I prefer short stories because they are short enough to be read by anyone in a short amount of time, yet are flexible enough to establish a framework and exhibit a lot of meaning.
In terms of first writing fragments, I think it’s a great idea to just write about things that relate to the character. I’ve never tried it before, but I think it’s going to work. It’s interesting how these fragments allow the writer to discover for themselves things about their characters as well as the overtone of the story. Not only to we have a foundation upon which we can build and patch things together to form a plot, but we can access great insight about the character. We can explore things that are part of the character’s life, but maybe not the story, so that in the story, we can have a realistic and interesting character.
I plan on writing a story about a character that, through a very depressing set of events, loses all sense of morality. Especially with this kind of story, I believe it is important for me to be able to understand things about this character.
For me writing the fragments was fun and interesting, I hope things turn out all right.
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment