“You can trust me, 'cause I'm your priest, I'm your shrink... I am your main connection to the switchboard of the soul. I'm the magic man... Santa Claus of the subconscious. You say it, you think it, you can have it.” –Lenny Nero, from Strange Days
Now, Lenny is referring to a futuristic device which allows the user to “live” certain memories that people have recorded. You could live a robbery without getting your hands dirty or relive cherished moments of your past.
I believe that is much the same. Composers isolate emotions, feelings, parts of their lives, and express them in ways words cannot. Music really is the switchboard of the soul. Whether one of Chopin’s heartrending Nocturnes, one of Mozart’s light melodies or one of Beethoven’s furious Sonata’s, music captures and expresses life. Why certain combinations cause humans to feel certain feelings is unknown.
Music is not the art of love; it is the art of life. Every listener takes the feel of music and relates it to their own experience. Somehow, a composer can make a universal connection to anyone. Music brings out our own memories, stimulation of memory spurred by emotion. Much like reality, a piece of music, a single measure, can be perceived and played countless different ways, everyone hears and plays in ways specific to their own experience. Music is not simply TV for the subconscious; it’s a piece of a person’s life.
Monday, October 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment